Thursday, November 03, 2005

Turning junk into beauty while helping people

Used plastic bags can do immense harm if allowed to choke landfill or left free to be eaten by innocent animals and marine life. But they can be used for good if used as a raw material. That’s what we decided to do. I spoke to my designer friends Prakash Vani and Himadri Ghosh and that is what we’ve been trying to do. This little picture shows you the junk we started with, the very basic looms we worked with and some of the beautiful bags and textures we could create. Feels really good to be able to take something awful and turn it into something so delightful. Read the whole story at http://www.badlani.com/recycle I realize that this is a modest achievement, but it is meaningful to us and I imagine even more so to the folks who can benefit from it. But I also see that it has immense potential for good. I'd love your input on how we can take this forward from here. Please take a moment to share your thoughts with me. Ideally, I'd like to identify people and agencies who can assist in the process of bringing to market the products that emerge from this exercise. All thoughts will be more than welcome. And if there is anything you can bring to the table, we'd love to work with you. Whoever you are, wherever you are. Write to me at rajiv at badlani.com

No comments: