Monday, August 29, 2005

I might save the world, but my own backyard is quickly going to hell!

I recently spent a weekend at a tiny beach called Kelva where my friends Rumy and Shernaz Shroff have a place on the beach. Delightful hosts. I love being invited. To get there you drive upto a place called Manor on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway and then turn off for Palghar. The road takes you through some ghats (beautiful but you get dizzy with the winding road if you’re not driving) and then takes you onwards to a little village called Kelva which is bang on what used to be a beautiful beach. It’s now littered with plastic bags. A little village, hardly known to anyone, miles from any large population center, but it caters to many local tourists. They come there on Sundays and holidays, busloads of them, and spend a few happy hours on that lovely beach. All of them bring along their own booze and food – in thousands of plastic bags. By Sunday evening the place is a disaster. Read on to see what some friends and I are doing about it.

No comments: